Spinach, dark leafy greens, turnip greens, and swiss chard have been specifically noted for their dietary iodine values. As more and more people realize the health benefits of iodine it should come as no surprise that an increasing number of people are looking for the mineral nutrients, including the health benefits of iodine, in a healthy selection of dark greens. In fact, the decision to EAT HEALTHY is a decision that can help you have more energy and live a longer life.
- Every time you make a healthy eating decision you create a setting that allows you to live a longer and happier life.
- As one of the best ways to make sure that you are eating healthy, filling your plate with healthy servings of vegetables.
- The use of micro greens adds both nutrition and color to various kinds of salads, as well as vegetable dishes.
- Having a bowl of ice cream covered in chocolate syrup is not a way to end the day if you want to create healthy eating habits.
- Eating vegetables that are in season help you make sure that you are eating the most tasty foods for meals.
- A way to add extra nutrients to any salad is to take colorful and sweet tasting sweet peas and slice them vertically across the width of each pod.
- Lettuces are not always the most nutritious elements in a salad, but if you add in spinach and other kinds of micro varieties.
- The trend of starting a backyard garden continues to grow in popularity as more and more people want to find an affordable way to have organic vegetables for every meal.
- Having a herb garden is another way to add affordable flavors to all of the foods that they create.
- Yearly reports continue to show that there are many Americans who are overweight and still not eating right. The best way to change that is to make a transition into creating healthier eating habits.
Interestingly enough, as many people have tried to cut unhealthy amounts of salt out of their diet, they have created another problem. Much of the iodine that we consume is in salt, so a lower salt diet can lead to an iodine deficiency. In fact, iodine levels have decreased by 50% in the past three decades, perhaps because of Americans making an effort to eat less salt. Outside of this country, the World Health Organization (WHO) indicates that as many as 72% of the population worldwide has an iodine deficiency. For this reason, more than 70 countries throughout the world add iodine to their salt to try to prevent deficiencies.
Fortunately, 86% of the world population has access to iodized salt. If you are making an effort to cut salt out or your diet, however, you may need to look at dark leafy greens and other kinds of vegetables to increase your iodine intake. The health benefits of iodine include many things including a healthy thyroid, a part of your body that helps regulate many of your body processes. Using iodine as a health supplement can help you increase your overall health. If you find that you are deficient in iodine, it is important to know that you do not have to start eating more salt, but that you can start eating a more healthy mix of leafy greens and spinaches.